Sunday, May 11, 2014

This Week on My Family History Calendar

The Kocevar-Lidman Tree
Week of May 11 - May 17
made with Tagxedo.com

May 11
Jons Larsson [4361] (1839-1841) my second great-grand uncle, was born on this day in 1839 in Stakerud, Eksharad, Varmlands lan, Sweden. His parents were Lars Jonsson [4290] and Ragnilda Persdotter [4291]. Jons was one of six children. Jons died on 14 May 1841 when he was only two years old.

May 13
August G. Kopesky [5533] (1874-1958) was born on this day in 1874 in Eden Prairie, Hennepin, Minnesota. His parents were Joseph Kopesky [5587] and Mary Portel [5588]. In 1930 he married Mary Larson [4296] (1873-1966) my first cousin three times removed (I am actually related to Mary on both sides of her family!). Mary's parents were Halvard Larsson [4294] and Kerstin Larsdotter [4295]. August and Mary made their home first in Minnetonka and later in Hopkins, Hennepin, Minnesota. They did not have any children.

May 16
Lars Nilsson [4983] (1732-1810) my fifth great-great uncle, was born on this day in 1732 in Eksharad, Varmlands lan, Sweden. His parents were Nils Larsson [4909] and Karin Engelbrektsdotter [4910], my sixth great-grandparents. To-date, I have not found any additional information about Lars (marriage or family) and he is another one of my Swedish extended family members that I need to do additional research on!

May 17
Marta Zakariasdatter, Berget [4270] (1796-1895) my third great grandmother, was born on this day in 1796 Hegra, Stjordal, Nord-Trondelag, Norway. Her parents were Zakarias Pedersen [4695] and Malena Johnsdatter [4696]. Marta married Erik Ivarsen, Medkilplass/Hastagjerdet [4269] (1796-1875) in 1821 in Hegra, Stjordal, Nord-Trondelag, Norway. Marta and Erik had nine children.

A Little Additional Information:
I use Legacy Family Tree as my genealogy database software of choice and use the record identification numbers [RINs] and marriage record identification numbers [MRINs]. Those are the numbers you will see in the brackets [xxx]. For my Norwegian family members, I include their farms  in the suffix section (will show up as their name, farm) and take this information from the bygdebokers (farmbooks).

If you have Norwegian ancestors and they lived on farms and you have not made use of this terrific resource, you are missing out - please make a point to check them out! The Family History Library in Salt Lake City has an extensive collection of bygdebokers. You can also check with Worldcat.org (the University of Minnesota and the University of Washington both have a number of the bygdebokers in their collection).

Do any of these names and families sound familiar? We might share family members - and I would enjoy hearing from you and sharing information. Please contact me.


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting - just so you know all comments are moderated.