Saturday, May 3, 2014

Counting Cousins in SNGF, Part Two

Kocevar-Lidman Cousins' Surnames
made with wordle.net - thanks

What good for the father's side of the family (over at the Keough Corner) is good for the mother's side (here at Scandia Musings). So the mission tonight in Saturday Night Genealogy Fun is as follows:

1)  Take both sets of your grandparents and figure out how many first cousins you have, and how many first cousins removed (a child or grandchild of a first cousin) you have.

2)  Extra Credit:  Take all four sets of your great-grandparents and figure out how many second cousins you have, and how many second cousins removed you have.

HINT:  Make a Descendants Chart with your genealogy software program!

3)  Tell us the grandparents and great-grandparents names, but don't give the name of living cousins unless you want to.  

4)  Are there any of those lines that you don't know all of the cousins names?  Do you care?  


5)  Tell us about them in your own blog post, in a comment to this blog post, or in a Facebook or Google+ post of your own.  Be sure to drop a comment to this post to link to your work.


I describe my methodology over at the Keough Corner but suffice it to say that for this mission and this blog, I choose the Kocever-Lidman direct line (my permanent tag 2). I used my Legacy database program and ran the Relationships report. I printed the report to a csv file and then saved it as a Microsoft Excel workbook so I could filter my report (love, love, love Excel for all kinds of record set downloads, and projects like this). If you are not taking advantage of manipulating your Legacy data in Excel, you are missing out. In this instance, Excel will let you filter your first cousins, your first cousins once removed, your first cousins twice removed, and so on and so on. 

So who are my people and what are my stats - well I'm glad you asked.

My grandparents Ernest William Lidman and Antonia Anna Kochevar had one son and three daughters, one of whom is my mother. I have seven (7) siblings and four (4) first cousins. My mother's side of the family tree is most definitely smaller than my father's side.

Thanks to the Legacy Relationships report (in my handy dandy Excel workbook) which was crosschecked for quality control purposes - I have ten (10) first cousins once removedfour (4) first cousins twice removed and one (1) first cousin thrice removed. I am pretty confident that I have all our family members included, and it is a small number.

I want that extra credit Randy mentioned (and Legacy did all the hard work for me). My paternal great grandparents Lars Elofsson and Josephine Eriksen had two (2) children and my maternal great grandparents Valentin Kocevar and Antonia Zagradisnik had seven (7) children. 

I have sixty-three (63) second cousins - twenty-three (23) are second cousins, thirty-nine (39) are second cousins once removed, and one (1) is a second cousin thrice removed. I also have four (4) third cousins.

I am sure and, in light of the small numbers, I hope I don't have everyone. That is one of the reasons I blog. In answer to Randy's question, I do care about any missing cousins as I want our family history to be inclusive. So, if any of these names are familiar, we might be related - so contact me! 

There you have it, Saturday Night Genealogy Fun, part two. It was much quicker counting cousins on the Swedish, Norwegian and Slovenian side of the family.

Mission Accomplished! 
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting - just so you know all comments are moderated.