During my research trip in January 2009 and again in January 2010, I had the opportunity to meet with a consultant who was originally from Sweden and is quite knowledge about Swedish records research, Wilma Larsson.
She explained the process of working with Swedish records and working from the known to the unknown. The first records we found were the emigration registers from Emibas. Once you find the record in Emibas, the register will provide the individual's name, marital status, birthdate and place, date the individual left the parish (and if it was noted in the parish book, the individual's destination) and the source for the Emibas information (the Household Examination Roll place and page - this key is the jumping off point for researching the annual household examination rolls).
Together over the course of a few days, we found the following documents:
- the emigration register for my great grandfather Louis Lidman (Lars Elofsson) who left the parish on 2 Apr 1880
- the emigration registers for Louis' father and mother (my great great grandparents) Elof Lidman and Marit Lidman (Elof Larsson and Marit Larsdotter) ~ they left the parish on 29 Apr 1882
- the emigration registers for Louis' sisters (and my great aunts) Karin Elofsdotter, Anna Elofsdotter, Marit Elofsdotter and Kristina Elofsdotter
- At the time of emigration, Karin was married to Per Mattson and they had their first child Lars Gustaf Persson Mattson. The Mattson family left their parish on 6 Mar 1883
- Anna traveled with the Mattson family and left the parish on 6 Mar 1883
- Marit and Kristina traveled with their parents and left the parish on 29 Apr 1882
- the birth register for Lars Elofsson dated 25 Jul 1860 in Fastnas, Norra Ny, Varmlands lan, Sweden
- the birth register for Karin Elofsdotter dated 24 Jun 1856 in Norra Loffstrand, Eksharad, Varmlands lan, Sweden
- the 5-year annual household examination rolls for the Elof Larsson/Marit Larsdotter family from 1861-1885 (residing on the Ormliden farm as tenant farmers) all located in Fastnas, Norra Ny, Varmlands lan, Sweden
- the marriage register for Elof Larsson and Marit Larsdotter dated 27 Apr 1856 in Eksharad, Varmlands lan, Sweden
Research Tip ~ To learn more about researching your Swedish roots, I would suggest two books, both available at libraries and through online stores (check Worldcat for your nearest library or store).
- Clemensson, Per & Kjell Andersson. Your Swedish Roots: A Step by Step Handbook. Provo, Utah: Ancestry Publishing, 2004.
- Johansson, Carl E. Cradled in Sweden. Logan, Utah: Everton Publishers, 1995.
Next time ~ more about my Swedish research at FHL.